- Which Indian folk artist has won the 2018 Fukuoka Arts and Culture Prize : Teejan Bai.
Explanation: Dr. Teejan Bai, the folk artist from Chhattisgarh, has won the 2018 Fukuoka Arts and Culture Prize, one of the top honours of Japan. It was the first time she had been formally recognised abroad and she was flabbergasted that anyone in Japan had heard of her or her art: Pandavani. Dr. Teejan is a leading performing artist and a contemporary exponent of Pandavani, a narrative singing of the ancient Indian epic “Mahabharata”.
- Who has won the 2018 New Academy Prize in Literature, which is formed in protest to the Nobel Literature Prize: Maryse Conde.
Explanation: Maryse Conde, a French (Guadeloupean) author of historical fiction, has won the 2018 New Academy Prize in Literature, which is formed in protest to the Nobel Literature Prize. Conde will win about £87,000 raised from crowd funding and donations, and will receive the prize at a ceremony on 9 December one day before the Nobel banquet.
- India and which country have launched their first joint programme for Afghanistan to train its diplomats: China.
Explanation: India and China have launched their first joint programme for Afghanistan to train its diplomats from October 15-26 under the aegis of the Trilateral Cooperation between India, China and Afghanistan. The joint training programme is being held after an understanding for such a cooperation was reached during an informal summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping held in April 2018 at China’s Wuhan city.
- Who has won the 2018 Shanghai Masters Tennis tournament: Novok Djokovic.
Explanation: Novak Djokovic, a Serbian professional tennis player. has recently won the 2018 Shanghai Masters Tennis tournament in Shanghai, China. In the final he beat Croatia’s Borna Coric by 6-3, 6-4 to claim his fourth Shanghai title and second Masters title of the year.
- Who has been appointed Director-General of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR): Shekher C Mande.
Explanation: Dr. Shekhar C Mande, a biologist, has been appointed Director-General of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Secretary of the Department of Scientific and Research (DSIR). The position of CSIR DG fell vacant recently with its previous chief Girish Sahni superannuating. At present, Dr. Made is the director of the Pune-based National Centre for Cell Science (NCCS) and a top functionary of Vijnana Bharati, the RSS-affiliated swadeshi science movement.
- Which noted historian has authored the book “Maharana Pratap: The Invincible Warrior”: Rima Hooja.
Explanation: The book “Maharana Pratap: The Invincible Warrior” is authored by noted historian Rima Hooja, who describes in detail how Maharana Pratap managed to elude capture by the mighty Mughal army for so long and never bowed down to Akbar.
- Who has been honored as the India Social Entrepreneur of the Year (SEOY) 2018: Prema Gopalan.
Explanation: Prema Gopalan, founder of Swayam Shikshan Prayog (SSP), has been honored as the India Social Entrepreneur of the Year (SEOY) 2018 for her work in promoting women’s entrepreneurship at the grassroots and ensuring rural livelihood. The SEOY award was jointly founded by Jubilant Bhartia Foundation and Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship in 2010.