1. The 2018 Vishwa Shanti Ahimsa Sammelan (VSAS) has started in which state: Maharashtra.
Explanation: President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated a 3-day ‘Vishwa Shanti Ahimsa Sammelan (VSAS-2018)’ at Mangi Tungi in Nashik district of Maharashtra . The VSAS, which is also known as World peace and ahimsa conference, has been organised by Bhagwan Rishabhdev Murti Nirmaan Samiti.
2. Which US-based Dalit writer has won the 2018 Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize: Sujatha Gidhla.
Explanation: US-based Dalit writer Sujatha Gidla has won the prestigious 2018 Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize for her book “Ants Among Elephant: An Untouchable Family And The Making Of Modern India”. It is an account of growing up in an ‘untouchable’ family in modern India.
3. The 27th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018) has started in which city : Gandhi Nagar.
Explanation: The 27th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018) has started in Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat on October 22. The 3-day event is organised by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and hosted by the Department of Atomic Energy and Gandhinagar-based Institute of Plasma Research.
4. Who heads the parliamentary standing committee on labour to examine the functioning of Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO): Kirit Somiya.
Explanation: The parliamentary standing committee on labour, which is headed by BJP MP Kirit Somaiya, will examine the functioning of retirement fund body Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), its coverage and recovery of arrears. It will review the implementation of labour laws, social security and welfare scheme for workers.
5. Which bank has become the India’s first PSU bank to introduce comprehensive wealth business services for its clients: SBI.
Explanation: The State Bank of India (SBI) has become the India’s first PSU bank to introduce comprehensive wealth business services for its clients. The wealth hub was inaugurated by SBI Chairman Rajnish Kumar at the Lalbagh branch in Mangalore. The bank has re-branded its wealth business as “SBI Wealth” offering best-in-class personalised banking and investment services to its elite High Net worth Individual (HNI) clients through a dedicated team of relationship managers.
6. What is “poly-Oxime”, that was developed recently by Indian researchers and was making news : A Skin Gel.
Explanation: Indian researchers have developed a new skin gel “poly-Oxime” that inhibits the absorption of the most commonly used pesticides such as Organophosphorous compounds, that can cause serious ill effects on health and, in worst cases, result in the death of pesticide handlers such as farmers. The ‘poly-Oxime’ does not act like a physical barrier but like a catalyst to deactivate organophosphate.
7. Who is the author of the book “Nehru and Bose: Parallel Lives” : Rudrangshu Mukherjee.
Explanation: The book “Nehru and Bose: Parallel Lives” has been authored by Rudrangshu Mukherjee. It brings to light the riveting story of two contrasting personalities – Subhas Chandra Bose and Jawaharlal Nehru – who would go on to define modern India.